This guide explains how to correctly — and more importantly cleanly — install CherryMusic on a (headless) server running Debian Wheezy — without polluting the operating system in any way. For Arch Linux or a more generic installation see the CherryMusic Arch Linux wiki page and CherryMusic’s own wiki on GitHub.
Everybody knows the code on the screens in the movie the matrix. You can see it for example when the character “cypher” talks to “neo” somewhen in the night, and the green letters fall down on those second-hand dell screens behind them. Funky. I want that too.
I’ve written a python program that uses curses to create a similar looking animation and just now cleaned up the code a bit and made sure it runs in python 2 and 3. You can get the source code on github and there’s a screenshot and a short explaination after the break…
As mentioned in an earlier post, I’m currently writing a music streaming server in python. As I wanted to go with the newest thing available, I wrote it in python 3. Unfortunately the application server we rely on, cherrypy, is only packaged for python 2 in most distributions! Even worse, even if the packages were installed for python 3, it would not run, since I relied on python 3.3 features.
Since this keeps my program from being used in the world, I decided to backport it to python 2. For me it was very important, that the code would not get any uglier by doing so, so I started writing a replacement module.
Here’s a collection of useful code snippets to help you making your software python 2 / 3 compatible.
This post is quite old. CherryMusic has improved a lot since then. For the latest version and information on CherryMusic, please visit http://fomori.org/cherrymusic
I recently wrote a Music Streaming Server in python, that allows you to listen to your music inside a browser, no matter where you are. It is called CherryMusic and features a standalone webserver based on cherryPy as well as JPlayer, a HTML5/Flash music player. It indexes your data for fast search using a sqlite database, so there is nothing to setup for you, just download the sources and off it goes!
In my tests it works perfectly with many thousand indexed files: searches are returned immediately, even on my little home server.
After the break you can find some screenshots of it in action.
I recently saw a video of an implementation of Conway’s game of life written in APL which was done in just one line. And because I couldn’t sleep last night, I implemented it in python as short as I possibly could.
So here it is:
for j,i,nb in map(lambda j:(j,j+s+1,bin(life&((7|5<<s|7<<s*2)<<j))[2:].count('1')),map(lambda x:x+int(x/(s-2))*2,range(0,(1<<s-2)+1))):
next = next|(1<<i)^(1^(((('23'.count(str(nb))<<1)+'3'.count(str(nb)))>>((life>>i)&1))&1))<<i
There’s a little write-up and the source after the break.
I recently needed to get some data out of a large tar file, about 5gb in size, that I didn’t want to extract, as it contained many thousands of small files. Unfortunately the tar format was not designed to be indexed, since it was meant for backups on magnetic tapes (tar stands for tape archive). The gnu tar has a command for retrieving single files, but it needs to go through the whole tar each time, which was just too slow.
So I decided to write a little tool, that would index all files inside the archive and write that index to another file. Now I can access each file within the tar in just a second, instead of 15 minutes. Introducing the tarindexer!
UPDATE: The project is now up on github under GPL v3
Some years ago I built a projector, using a overhead prjector and a TFT, as most of you readers know them already. But I never did overcome the problem of keystoning. I know that you can tilt one of the lenses, but with most DIY builds this can be a quite frustrating procedure.
So after many years of looking for a solution thats easy to use, especially because I don’t want that ugly projector to keep standing in the middle of my living room and I always move it to one corner after using it. That means that i have to do the keystone calibration each and everytime I want to use it.
The solution: mplayer already has a perspective correction video filter feature included